Monday, January 24, 2011

Imping, imposers, imp handles, and tribute handles, a repost plus some.


  Impostors, or "imps" are an odd phenomenon, even stranger is why it is done.  Generally to hide, and bother the original handle, and the entire forum. Sometime done to discredit, or get a the original handle banned.
  Best things to do:
  1)  request a handle removal, and forum/IP bans, do not engage.
  2) if no one has noticed, post to inform the others before the damage is done, then flag, request a handle removal, forum and IP bans.
  3) neg them
  4) ignore them if the above help is not to your liking.

  What about the rash of "tribute" imps? What do you as helpers think about this recent excuse/phenomenon? Here are a few that have recently been posting. Do you think they are acceptable?  What are you thinking about this? Are tribute handle ok if they mind their manners and don't troll? Should the original handle have a say in it? I will be making a poll about this so keep an eye out here for it. 
  By the way, if you as readers of this blog have issues, articles, polls you would like to see put up, or your own writings you would like published, please let me know as I may publish these from time to time.

Some of the recent imps, and"tribute" handles, good, or bad:

IWantToBeStaff 
WishIWasCatha 
Fixxerwannabe
CanIBeCalibfb 
WendyTurnsMeOn
DivineMisdemeaners
Mr_Dexter_Morgan






8 comments:

  1. well, as a fellow dexter fan, i dont think you should label my handle as an IMP just becuase you have a dexter handle as well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't list your handle because I have one as well, I listed it as it is in fact a copy cat handle, the subject of my blog post. After over 5 seasons of Dexter there are two Dexter Morgan handles, yours and mine. Mine was after all the first, making your a secondary, or "copy" of that handle.

    I listed your handle because I saw people thinking your were me, I listed your handle because it is in fact an copy of mine. My post is about imps as we call them on cl. I would call them copies, or copy cats. I never have, nor will I say you are not entitled to make that handle. After all there can only be one handle, the system will not allow exact copies, but I do notice that craigslist removes/bans/puts on hold handle copy cats quite quickly..

    Also my blog post is asking what people think, not condemning YOU personally. Sorry, but I do not play the "handle spotting game" here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: I have researched this and find my "Dexter-Morgan" handle is also a copy cat handle as here is the first one, and another. So, am I an imp also?

    Please note these handles are NOT mine.

    handle:
    DexterMorgan
    email:
    anon-DexterMorgan@craigslist.org
    since:
    12 Sep 2007 (1230 days)
    up to 50 posts from the last 30 days for DexterMorgan


    handle:
    Dexter_Morgan
    email:
    anon-Dexter_Morgan@craigslist.org
    since:
    7 Jan 2008 (1113 days)
    up to 50 posts from the last 30 days for Dexter_Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, i just wanted to make it clear that i was not imping you at all, and a few people saw me and thought i was, but i made sure they knew i wasnt. check my handle note too lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, that being the case, we should all report the Dexter_Morgan handle as an imp and ask for a ban? The simple solution to having a similar handle is simply a handle note saying that you aren't the other handle. Problem solved.

    Tribute handles are usually pretty clear and I wouldn't even begin to count them as "imps" as there's no "imposter" there at all. If they troll, flag them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prep_and_Landing said:

    I think it's time for some sort of volunteer moderator position. One of the keys they could be given would be to initiate handle bans and isle threads. There could be some safeguards in place to ensure that it isn't abused.

    I think that's the only way to make people play nice. I would institute it in the CL- forums first, because that is where users are directed who have problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think there should be more flagging and less feeding

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about redford the tulsa troll? His list of over a thousand handles is legendary. Some say that he is you.

    ReplyDelete